Fibre broadband is great but isn't necessary for everyone. For browsing the web, checking emails, uploading the odd photo to Facebook and even streaming from BBC iPlayer or Netflix, you don't need a superfast connection.
For iPlayer you need 2Mbps of sustained bandwidth to watch standard-definition content or 3Mbps for high-definition, while the minimum recommended broadband speed for Netflix is 1.5Mbps. However, you will likely benefit if you regularly:
- Use your broadband at the same time as other people in your home
- Download films or large online files on a regular basis
- Use online TV catch-up services from more than one device
- Upload videos and other large files to the web
- Play video games online
- Use video-calling services, such as Skype
Check our Which? broadband reviews to find the best broadband services, as voted for by thousands of broadband customers.